What Is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic care is an alternative method of treatment in which manipulation is done to treat disorders of nerves, especially the spine region to reduce back pain, leg pain (sciatica), neck pain or headaches. Manipulation helps to restore joint mobility caused by tissue damage or improper body posture. Chiropractic practice helps relieve pain and improves the normal function of the body structure. The main theory behind this practice is that with proper alignment of the musculoskeletal structure, the body heals itself without surgery and medicine.
Method of Treatment
Spinal manipulation, commonly called "spinal adjustment" or "chiropractic adjustment," is the most common technique used by chiropractors. In the spinal manipulation technique, hands are used to apply sudden force on the spine and related nerves. Hands and small devices are used to manipulate, massage, mobilize, or adjust the spine and related tissues.
Apart from spinal manipulation techniques, chiropractic practice includes soft tissue therapy, exercises, nutritional guidance and ergonomics awareness.
When To Visit a Chiropractor?
If you have chronic pain, fatigue, headaches or muscle pain, you can consult a chiropractor. You can also visit a chiropractor for:
- Pain in the Lower Back or Pelvis: If you have severe or even mild pain that persists for more than a few days you should consult a chiropractor.
- Neck Pain: Neck pain may be due to an injury or strain. A chiropractor can diagnose and treat your pain by manual therapy, soft tissue massage, or therapeutic exercise.
- Headaches: Headaches and migraines can be treated without medication by chiropractic practice.
- Frozen Shoulder or Shoulder Pain: A chiropractor can diagnose and properly treat the pain in the shoulder that is caused by some stress due to playing or lifting heavy objects.
- Spinal Stenosis: It is a condition in which the gap between the spinal discs is reduced causing searing pain. This can be effectively treated by a chiropractor.
Chiropractic practice is safe if provided by experienced and licensed practitioners. Although rare, some risks are also associated with this technique.
- Herniated or slipped disc
- Compression of nerves
- Stroke after neck manipulation
This treatment is not suitable for people who have the following issues:
- Spinal cord compression
- Cancer in spine or bones
Chiropractic care is an alternative medical treatment that is effective and drug-free. Going to the chiropractor is suitable for people of all age groups having acute or in some cases chronic back and leg pain, and spine-related issues. Chiropractic practice may not respond to everyone equally so other medical treatments may be taken alongside. Contact a chiropractor for more information.